Bible in a Year – Day 184: A Big, Loving, Faithful God
What an incredible three chapters! These three songs (or, more likely, one song in three parts) powerfully and vividly tell the story of God and his people. The opening and closing lines, “Praise the Lord” sever as bookends to lyrics that are part history lesson, part exaltation and part marvel at the vastness of of God.
As I read these words, I am reminded of God’s immense (infinite) size, the scope of his work and the enormity of his grace and love. In Psalm 103, there are reminders of God’s forgiveness, healing, redemption, love and compassion (that’s just verses 3 and 4) and so much more. In Psalm 104, we’re reminded of his splendor, his power over nature, his care for creation and his wisdom in his design of it all. Then, in Psalm 105, we get to see how his love and compassion, combined with his power and splendor, worked together to show the people of Israel that he is faithful, no matter what.
He is faithful even when we are not. He is powerful, even when we fail to recognize his power. And, of course, he is loving whether or not we choose to reciprocate that love. The words of these three Psalms have ignited these recognitions in me today. On another day, my post might have been more academic, but today, I simply sit in awe of this God who chooses to deal with my foolishness on a daily basis rather than write me off.
I’m grateful that he decided to involve me in his plan and that he keeps inviting me along, even though I keep messing things up. This is the kind of God I serve and it is the type of leader I want to be.
- TED Talk Tuesday: In Search of the Man Who Broke My Neck
- TED Talk Tuesday: Reclaiming the Republic
- TED Talk Tuesday: Who Controls the World?
- Les Misérables and The Kingdom of God
- Bible in a Year – Day 358: Cheaters
- Bible in a Year – Day 343: Love’s First Step
- Bible in a Year – Day 339: Boastest with the Mostest
- Bible in a Year – Day 336: Love Is..
- Bible in a Year – Day 331: A Problem with Authority
- Bible in a Year – Day 326: Felix the Scaredy Cat